Congo Hold-up: opening of a judicial investigation targeting the Kabila clan

Last Friday, “Le Soir” and its partners published the first revelations of the “Congo Hold-up” investigation highlighting the embezzlement of approximately $ 128 million in six years by the ex-regime of Joseph Kabila. Since then, a judicial investigation has been opened in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.


Reading time: 2 min

UA judicial investigation targeting the clan of former President of the Democratic Republic of Congo Joseph Kabila was opened in Kinshasa after revelations of alleged embezzlement of 138 million dollars, we learned Wednesday from a judicial source.



As part of an unprecedented consortium of research in the general interest, the media network European Investigative Collaborations (EIC) and 19 media from 18 different countries, including The evening, revealed the biggest data breach on the African continent last Friday. In this context, Mr. Kabila and his family are accused of having “siphoned off” at least $ 138 million from state coffers. These alleged hijackings took place from 2013 to 2018, according to the authors of this investigation which is causing a stir in the DRC.

Asked by the press, government spokesman Patrick Muyaya said Monday that “the Minister of Justice wrote to the prosecution on November 20 (…), she gave an injunction for the purposes of investigation and prosecution”. “We cannot, as a government, remain insensitive to such allegations,” said Muyaya, also Minister of Communication.

“There is opening of a judicial investigation” by the prosecution near the Court of Cassation, following the request of the Minister of Justice, told AFP, on condition of anonymity, a source of this prosecution .





According to the “Congo Hold-up” investigation, the 138 million dollars were embezzled “with the complicity of the bank BGFI RDC” (subsidiary in the DRC of the banking group BGFIBank based in Gabon), in which relatives of Mr. Kabila had interests and responsibilities, “in particular through a front company set up in a garage”.

In a statement, the communication service of ex-president Kabila described the conclusions of this investigation as “Kabilabashing” and as “an attempt to discredit the former head of state”. Mr. Kabila led the DRC from January 2001 to January 2019 when the current head of state Félix Tshisekedi succeeded him.


Leave a Comment