Facebook Messenger is one of the most used messaging platforms in the world. It is available for both Android and iOS and can be easily accessed by anyone with a Facebook account. To give you an idea, in February 2022, Facebook Messenger reported over 1.2 billion registered users and at least 900 million monthly active users. Having thousands of users all over the world, it is important that the service is available at all times.
Unfortunately, random bugs and errors on any platform are unavoidable. There were even reports from Facebook Messenger users that the app was not working properly on their devices.
In general, the application problem is caused by slow network connections or server-related issues. However, it could also be due to improper settings or third-party apps.
To help you, we’ve created this guide on what to do when Facebook Messenger isn’t working on your mobile device.
What to do when Facebook Messenger stops working?
1. Restart your smartphone
Whenever you encounter problems on Facebook Messenger, the first thing you should do is restart your smartphone. This way, you can ensure that the problem is not caused by a temporary bug or error on your system.
- locate the button power on your device Android;
- Then press and hold the button until the selection menu appears;
- Finally, tap Restart.
- First, touch the side button to reduce volume + side button to turn on the screen;
- After that, swipe to turn off mobile;
- Finally, tap the side button to turn the phone back on.
Return to Facebook Messenger after restarting your device to see if the issue is resolved.
2. Check Facebook Messenger Status
As an online platform, Facebook Messenger relies on its servers to provide content and services. If the servers go down, it is normal for problems to occur in the platform or even in the application itself.
To confirm this, you can use third party sites like Downdetector to view the current status of Facebook Messenger. If the servers are down, the best thing to do is wait.
Unfortunately, server-related issues cannot be resolved from your end. On the other hand, you can go to the next solution if the servers are online.
3. Check your network connection
A slow or unstable internet connection can also be the reason why Facebook Messenger is not working on your device. Since you are using an online platform, you will need stable internet to avoid problems.
To check if your internet is the problem, perform a test using Fast.com to measure your network’s upload and download speed. If the result indicates a problem with your network, unplug the router and wait at least five seconds before plugging it back in.
Retest your network afterwards to see if the issue is resolved. If you continue to experience problems with your connection, contact your ISP and ask them to fix the problem.
4. Update your device
The Android or iOS version you are running may have an issue causing Facebook Messenger to not work. To ensure your system is not the culprit, check for any pending updates for your device and install them.
- Unlock your device and go to the settings.
- Then scroll to the bottom and tap About or about phone.
- After that, go to Update of Software.
- Finally, hit the option Download and Install if an update is available.
- From the home screen, tap the app Settings;
- After that go to the tab General;
- Then tap Software update;
- Finally, choose Download & Install and follow the instructions.
Restart your device after the update and see if Facebook Messenger works.
5. Update Facebook Messenger
The problem could also be with the version of Facebook Messenger you are using. If you can’t use the app properly on your device, try checking for updates and installing the latest version of the app.
On your device, go to the App Store or Google Play Store and install the latest version of Facebook Messenger.
6. Reinstall Facebook Messenger
If none of the above solutions worked for you, we suggest reinstalling Facebook Messenger on your device. This should ensure that there are no broken or missing installation packages on your device.
Here’s how you can remove Facebook Messenger:
- On your device, go to the home screen and find the Facebook Messenger;
- Then press and hold the app icon until the selection menu appears;
- Finally, tap remove app (iOS) or uninstall (Android) to delete it.
Once done, go to the App Store or Play Store to install the latest version of Facebook Messenger.
7. Contact Facebook Support
Go to the Facebook Help Center and contact your team to report the issue you are experiencing. When asking for help, please provide your account details, your device model, and other necessary information that can help your team resolve the issue faster.
That sums up our guide on how to fix Facebook Messenger if it’s not working on your device. If you have questions, leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.