At Ensjø in Oslo, TV 2 visits one of Foodora’s hidden grocery stores. Here, the pink couriers pick up pre-filled food bags with groceries, and deliver the bags to customers’ homes.
Victoria Hellesøy Stenbakk, manager of the grocery venture Foodora Market, says that grocery delivery is one of the reasons why they need many more couriers.
– We already have 4,000 bids, but need 2,000 more during the winter, says Hellesøy Stenbakk to TV 2.
Hellesøy believes that the company’s growth is due to people becoming used to having hot food and groceries delivered to their home quickly, but emphasizes that demand also depends on the weather.
– We have tough winters in Norway. So the couriers who deliver by bicycle and scooter have a tough time when the snow comes. That’s why we need many more, says Hellesøy Stenbakk.
– An issue
Minister of Industry Jan Christian Vestre (Ap) also visited Foodora’s hidden grocery store on Ensjø. He says that their recruitment will be difficult.
– Unemployment has not been lower for 15 years, and we have very high employment. That is why it is a problem for many companies to get enough people, says Vestre to TV 2.
He says that companies throughout the country are struggling with recruitment. Nevertheless, Vestre emphasizes that there are still people who are not in work, but who can work.
– There are people who can only work part-time, they may have gaps in their CV or lack education. That is why it is very important that companies are good at recruiting those who have fallen outside, says Vestre.
– What can the Minister of Business and Industry do to include more people?
– We must maintain a good dialogue between the companies and NAV, and become better at identifying those who have dropped out of working life so that we can get them back in, says Vestre.
At the same time last year, the company hired 700 new bids. It was then a record number, but now almost three times as many new bids are needed.
But with unemployment at 1.6 per cent, Foodora’s communications manager, Mads Dokka Blybakken, believes that it will be difficult to recruit enough people.
– We need so many. Therefore, it is clear that it is demanding when unemployment is as low as it is, says Dokka Blybakken to TV 2.
Blybakken says that they have worked for a long time with recruitment.
– So I have faith and hope, but there is no guarantee, says Dokka Blybakken.
– How much do you earn as a Foodora courier today?
– The couriers earn an average of NOK 218 per hour, but often around NOK 300. The very best are up and smelling NOK 500 an hour, says Dokka Blybakken.