Two months after the release of the Radeon RX 6600 XT, AMD is now sending another entry-level model, the RX 6600, into the race against Nvidia.
With a view to the recommended retail price of 379 euros, the RX 6600 XT was exactly between the Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 (329) and the RTX 3060 Ti (419 euros), the RX 6600 (339 euros) now measures itself explicitly with Nvidia’s smallest RTX 3000 graphics card.
We therefore take a closer look at the RX 6600 and check how it fares in direct comparison with the RTX 3060.
Release and availability: The RX 6600 was released on October 13, 2021 and is available from AMD’s board partners (Asus, MSI, Sapphire, and so on). Although the delivery situation for graphics cards has relaxed a bit overall, only a few models are still available.
At the same time, the prices are well above the RRP (339 euros). The cheapest models cost just under 500 euros. For comparison: The RX 6600 XT has an RRP of 379 euros, but it is hardly available for less than 600 euros (as of October 14, 2021).
more on the subject
Chip shortages will continue for a long time
The technical details of the RX 6600 in comparison
There is no reference design from AMD for the RX 6600. We are therefore testing a custom model, more precisely the Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6600.
|RX 6600 XT||2.048||1.968/2.359/2.589 MHz*||8,0 GByte GDDR6 (16,0 Gbps)|
|RX 6600||1.792||1.626/2.044/2.491 MHz*||8,0 GByte GDDR6 (14,0 Gbps)|
Our test system
We use our updated graphics card test system for the Ryzen 9 5950X. The components at a glance:
- Mainboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
- RAM: 32,0 GByte Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL @3.800 MHz
- Storage: 2,0 TByte Kingston KC2500 (M.2 PCIe 3.0), 2,0 TByte Kingston KC600 (SATA)
- Casing: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev. 2
- Power adapter: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200W
- Cooling: Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT
- Keyboard and mouse: Razer Huntsman V2 Analog, Razer Viper 8K
- Monitors: Gigabyte G27FC (1.920 x 1.080), AOC Agon AG273QXP (2.560 x 1.440), Acer Predator XB321HK (3.840 x 2.160)
In the case of the RX 6600, the Radeon driver 10/21/2.Smart Access Memory (AMD) or Resizeable BAR (Nvidia) is activated on all graphics cards.
This is what the Radeon RX 6600 looks like:
Our test course consists of the following games: