Learn 2021 tests: worse results in Language and stability in Mathematics

Tuesday June 21, 2022 | 3:16 p.m.

23.1% of the students were below the basic level in Mathematics, while 54.8% achieved passing levels. //Photo: Illustrative.

23.1% of the students were below the basic level in Mathematics, while 54.8% achieved passing levels. //Photo: Illustrative.

The Minister of Education, Jaime Perczyk, presented the results of the Learn 2021 tests, carried out in 19,638 primary schools throughout the country, which exposed greater difficulties in learning in Language and showed stability in the performance of students in Mathematics.

56% of the sixth grade students in primary schools reached the approval levels (satisfactory and advanced) in Language, while the remaining 44% had problems with reading comprehension and 22.3% showed below the basic level. posed by the curriculum, which implies an increase of 15.2 percentage points compared to the 2018 test.

“We see some problems that are a consequence of the pandemic, but they have a history,” Perczyk said when presenting the results in a meeting with journalists in which Télam participated.

The minister maintained that “the 2019 Unesco studies already indicated that Argentina had problems in language” and said that “what the pandemic does is enhance them.”

“We came from four years of definancing of the educational system,” he added.

On this point, he explained that “the social conditions of the boys, the educational financing, the training of the teachers, the number of hours and days of class are the factors that in all the literature are associated with the performance of the boys” in the schools.

Regarding learning in Mathematics, the results do not show a significant variation in statistical terms over time, explained the secretary of Evaluation and Educational Information, Germán Lodola.

23.1% of the students were below the basic level in Mathematics, while 54.8% achieved the passing levels (satisfactory and advanced).

Faced with the results, the minister maintained that reversing the situation “takes a long time, a lot of work, a lot of investment,” and estimated that the time to recover learning “is not less than three years.”

Among the necessary measures for reconstruction, Perczyk highlighted the importance of improving the socioeconomic conditions of the students, the educational level of the family, extending the school calendar with more days and hours of class, and facilitating proximity to educational materials.

Leave a Comment