For a preview of the biggest and most important stories from Metaverse Marketing delivered to your inbox every day at 3:00 PM PDT, subscribe here.
It’s Friday, and that means… In fact, we don’t even really know what that means anymore, other than that, we’re going to be sitting in the sun and basking in the very last days of warm weather before it turns time to be envious of the antipodes for the next six months. — Christine et Hajé
- In late fashion: Epic Games loved distributed computing startup Hadean so much that they didn’t want to miss an opportunity to support it. Paul learn more about how Epic was able to participate in the $30 million Series A investment and why.
- You fade au bling: Life insurance isn’t often an exciting topic, but Strava co-founder Mark Shaw thinks he’s found a way to ‘zhuzh’ it with Inclined, a company that lends against life insurance policies. whole life insurance, Mary Ann writing. The company now has a Series A of $15 million.
- Shopping for health: Healthcare is a complex web of doctors, labs and payers that rarely seems to connect. Kenyan startup Ponea Health wants to change that with its health marketplace offering that brings everyone together, Annie reports.
Startups et VC
The crypto market is awash with centralized (Binance, FTX) and decentralized ETH-based (Dydx, Opyn, Perpetual Protocol) perpetuals and options trading platforms. Nibiru is trying to create the first mainstream decentralized multi-channel solution. The company was co-founded by Tribe Capital GP Arjun Sethi and just raised $7.5m in seed funding at a valuation of $100m. manique reports.
A cloud kitchen – also known as a ghost kitchen or shared kitchen – offers restaurateurs and food entrepreneurs commercial kitchen space at a reduced cost for food delivery and takeout. A Manila-based startup called CloudEats, which operates cloud kitchens across the Philippines and Vietnam, has just raised a $7 million Series A expansion to accelerate the digitalization of foodservice in Southeast Asia, Kate reports.
Here are a few more…
8 investors discuss what awaits reproductive health startups in a post-Roe world
Dominic-Madori Davis interviewed eight investors about the role venture capital could play in this new era where Americans no longer have the legal right to obtain an abortion.
The Supreme Court’s Dobbs decision affected more than health care and privacy: Will capital and talent flee US states that restrict reproductive rights? Will investors back more startups that expand access to healthcare?
Given “the tenuous relationship between venture capital money and ethics,” Dominic-Madori asked the group how they plan to exert influence – and how they prefer to be approached by entrepreneurs:
- Hessie Jones, Partner, MATR Ventures
- Lisa Calhoun, Gary Peat et William Leonard, Valor Ventures
- Mecca Tartt, Executive Director, Startup Runway
- Ed Zimmerman, Founding Partner, First Close Partners
- Theodora Lau, fondatrice, Unconventional Ventures
- McKeever Conwell, founder, RareBreed Ventures
Recently on Metaverse Marketing+:
Metaverse Marketing+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup teams get a head start. You can register here. Use code “DC” to get 15% off an annual subscription!
Who knew a baseball simulation game would do so well at the height of a pandemic? The Game Band certainly did. Amanda talks with the creators of Blaseball about how they’re building the game for the future.
- Break in a new show: If you’re a “Breaking Bad” fan, the show’s creator has announced a new show for Metaverse Marketingverse Marketing TV+, Ivan écrit.
- Clapping back: The California Civil Rights Department is now considering a countersuit from Tesla after a judge refused to dismiss a case involving racial bias at the electric car giant. Rebecca see you.
- New leader: Allan Thygesen, former head of advertising at Metaverse Marketingverse Marketing, has a new job: to become the new CEO of DocuSign, Ron reports.
- No shortage of supply here: Jaclyn reports on GM Ventures’ new investment in Lithion Recycling, a Canadian battery recycler, to get the juices flowing for GM’s electric vehicle fleet.
- Message urgent: Elections are taking place in Italy on Sunday, and the country is nervous about election interference measures, so he sent a message to Metaverse Marketing asking for information on how Metaverse Marketingverse Marketing plans to handle this, Natasha L écrit.