Norway: man killed at least five people in bow and arrow attack

At least five people have been killed and two injured in the attack by a man armed with a bow and arrows in the Norwegian city of Kongsberg (southwest of Oslo).

“We believe that it is a single person who has committed the acts. It is natural to analyze whether it is a terrorist act. But the individual has not yet been interrogated, “said Southwest District Police Chief Øyvind Aas at a press conference, for whom it is” too early “to speculate on the motive for the event.

The Norwegian police received at 18.13 local time (16.13 GMT) a notice that a man armed with a bow and arrows was moving through the center of that city, and he was arrested at 18.47, after a “confrontation took place. ”.

“There are many crime scenes. This person has moved through a large area of ​​the center where criminal acts have been committed, “said Aas about the aggressor’s journey, who also entered a supermarket.

The attacks occurred in “a large area” of Kongsberg, a municipality of about 28,000 people in southeastern Norway, police said.

The General Directorate of Police has activated a temporary order that all agents in the country be armed, against the usual norm, although there are currently no “concrete indications” that there may be a change in the level of terrorist threat in the country, It is stated in a statement.

The police had reported hours before an action in the center of Kongsberg and had asked residents not to leave their homes after finding that a person had been shot with an arrow.

Several police units, including helicopters and a group of anti-explosive specialists, were mobilized.

According to the Norwegian police, the individual traveled through various areas attacking people before being arrested.

According to a witness, the man was walking through the small town shooting everyone he saw. “What a crazy world we live in,” said the witness.

Norway’s Minister of Justice and Public Security Monica Maeland has received an update on the attacks and is closely monitoring the situation, according to the ministry.

The Kongsberg city council has set up a reception center for those affected and mobilized a crisis team to deal with the situation.

According to the tabloid VG, the Norwegian intelligence services (PST) have been informed of the events, although at the moment the police consider that it is too early to know if it is a terrorist act.

Norway has traditionally been a peaceful nation, but has suffered attacks from the far right.

Extremist Anders Behring Breivik carried out two attacks in which 77 people died on July 22, 2011.

Breivik first detonated a bomb in the capital Oslo, next to the building that housed the prime minister’s office, and then went on fire at a summer camp for left-wing youth on the island of Utoya.

In August 2019, the self-proclaimed neo-Nazi Philip Manshaus opened fire on a mosque on the outskirts of Oslo before being overpowered by worshipers and no one was seriously injured.

However, he had earlier shot dead his stepsister, who had been adopted from China, in what prosecutors called a “racist act.”

The security services have also thwarted several planned jihadist attacks.

Leave a Comment