Six-year-old boy rescued from rubble two days after Indonesia quake

The latest toll, announced Wednesday evening by the authorities, is 271 dead, 40 missing and more than 2,000 injured.


Reading time: 2 mins

UA six-year-old boy, Azka, was pulled alive from the rubble two days after an earthquake that killed at least 271 people in Indonesia, a rescuer told AFP on Thursday, rejoicing in a “miracle”.

The rescue was filmed on Wednesday night and has revived hopes of other survivors from the ruins caused by the earthquake that shook Monday near the town of Cianjur, west of the Indonesian island of Java.


“When we realized Azka was alive, everyone burst into tears, including me,” volunteer rescuer Jeksen Kolibu told AFP, speaking of “a miracle”.

A video filmed by smartphone shows the rescuers getting out of the rubble unscathed the boy, who had been without water and food for two days.

He was found next to his grandmother’s lifeless body, Jeksen Kolibu added, saved by a wall that withstood the shaking, preventing another wall from collapsing on top of him, local media reported.

“He was found on the left side of the house, on a bed. He was protected by a pillow and there was a space of 10 cm between him and a concrete wall, ”detailed Jeksen Kolibu.

More than a third of the victims of this earthquake are children, who were at school or at home when the earthquake occurred, according to data from the disaster management agency (BNPB).

But time is running out to find more survivors as rain and aftershocks slow the search.

The latest toll, announced Wednesday evening by the authorities, is 271 dead, 40 missing and more than 2,000 injured.


Leave a Comment