Although Halloween is just around the corner, there is no big wave of reduced horror games this week, but rather classic GameStar genres: RPG, building strategy, shooter. We have picked a total of 14 games for you this week in Steam’s Midweek Madness.
There are of course other offers, such as King’s Bounty 2, but we limit ourselves to discounts that are really substantial or in some form unique. At 25 percent, King’s Bounty 2 still costs almost 40 euros, which is a bit too much for us.
But enough preliminary skirmish, let’s get in.
Highlight of the week: Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana
Genre: Action RPG | developer Falcom | Release: 16. April 2018 | price: 22 euros, reduced by 60 percent | Offer is valid until: 15th October
You are probably thinking now
Huh!, but Ys 8: Lacrimosa of Dana is one of the best offshoots of one of the best action RPG series ever. Over the years, the Ys series has earned a steadily growing, loyal fan base – and that includes quite a few from the editorial team.
The short version is as follows: You knock your way across a monster-infested island at insane speed, experience boss fights that you won’t forget, unlock more playable characters and explore a magical fantasy world, while one of the best soundtracks of all time is in the background drives forward.
Does it all sound a bit generic? We understand, but the Ys series thrives above all on the feeling it triggers – and that is difficult to describe. Have you ever played Hotline Miami? Simply saying “Yes, you shoot and knock your way through levels and knock down mafiosi” does not do the game justice, even if the information is factually correct. It looks similar with Ys 8. You have to experience the pace of the game yourself – there is no other action role-playing game like this. So outside of the Ys series. There are ten times within the Ys series.
More exciting offers
In addition to Ys 8, many other games are of course reduced. Here are our editorial recommendations:
- The Beast Inside: At least one exciting horror game is on sale after all. Reduced by 85 percent to 3 euros.
- Inmost: Inmost looks a lot like Hollow Knight, but places a much stronger focus on puzzles. Reduced by 30 percent to 9 euros.
- Fallout 4 GOTY: The entire Fallout series has just been reduced, but as a substitute you can get the GOTY edition of Fallout 4 with all DLCs for 10 euros (75 percent discount).
- Disco Elysium: One of the best role-playing games in recent years. Disco Elysium costs 22 euros (reduced by 45 percent). Play it!
Link to Podcast content
- Ace Attorney Trilogy: My colleague Mary Marx would be pissed off for days if we didn’t mention this adventure gem. Phoenix Wright is 34 percent reduced to 20 euros by October 18.
- Return of the Obra Dinn: This spooky adventure has an art style you are guaranteed not to forget. Costs just 10 euros (35 percent discount).
- Witch It!: Winner of the German computer game award and a slightly … different multiplayer game. Reduced by 70 percent to 6 euros.
- Trials of Mana: We had to wait decades in Europe for this action role-playing game. But the remake turned out to be a real top role-playing game. Definitely worth considering for 25 euros (50 percent discount).
- Nier Replicant: Definitely not a perfect action RPG, but precisely because it is annoying at times, we will never forget Nier Replicant. At 39 euros, the price is still quite steep, but at least the 35 percent discount is the highest that Nier has ever received.
- Deliver Us The Moon: A pretty exciting science fiction thriller, currently reduced to 14.50 euros (42 percent).
- Paws: An animal adventure for fans of Shelter. Reduced by 80 percent to 3 euros.
- Killing Floor 2: One of the biggest competitors of Payday 2 for years. In Killing Floor 2 you and your friends kill hordes of monsters – and it’s a lot of fun. Reduced by 75 percent to 7 euros.
- Frostpunk: One of the best strategy games that wrestle moral decisions from you in addition to building talent. Currently costs 9 euros, discounted by 70 percent.
Frostpunk with DLC – One of the best building games you can play right now
All games in price comparison
If you want to buy the games in alternative stores, here is the price comparison table, like every week. Because tables are life.