The “biggest camera update ever” on an iPhone doesn’t need to ship in a big iPhone, at least not in a Max form factor – the iPhone 13 Pro will do. Unlike last year, when only the 12 Pro Max had the ultimate camera system, the differences between the two Pro sizes are just in quantity, not quality.
The Little Pro packs the all-new main camera with a larger sensor that moves for image stabilization, the same unit as the Max’s. It also has the now 3x longer TV than the Max has. The iPhone 12 Pro was crippled in both of these areas last year compared to the 12 Pro Max, and we’re glad Apple has ended that disparity. The new ultra-wide with autofocus and close-up shooting capability is also a common feature of both pros.
It’s not just the cameras, either – the 13 Pro also has the ProMotion display.
Other upgrades shared across the lineup are also coming to the 13 Pro. At 10%, the increase in battery capacity isn’t huge, but adaptive cooling will do its part to improve longevity. The A15 chipset is, as always, a bit more powerful than the previous one, and perhaps excessively compared to non-Apple ones. The 20% reduction in notch size is also worth mentioning – more for the comedic value of the statement than the importance of the development.
Features of Apple iPhone 13 Pro at a glance:
- Corps: 146.7 × 71.5 × 7.7mm, 204g; Glass front (Gorilla Glass), glass back (Gorilla Glass), stainless steel frame; IP68 dust / water resistant (up to 6m for 30 minutes), Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified).
- Display: 6.10 “Super Retina XDR OLED, 120Hz, HDR10, Dolby Vision, 1000 nits (HBM), 1200 nits (peak), 1170x2532px resolution, 19.48: 9 aspect ratio, 460ppi; Wide range of colors, True-tone.
- Chipset: Apple A15 Bionic (5 nm): Hexa-core (2 × 3.22 GHz Avalanche + 4xX.X GHz Blizzard); Apple GPU (5-core graphics).
- Memory: 128 Go 6 Go de RAM, 256 Go 6 Go de RAM, 512 Go 6 Go de RAM, 1 To 6 Go de RAM ; NVMe.
- Operating system / software: iOS 15.
- Rear camera: Large (principal): 12 MP, f / 1.5, 26mm, 1.9 µm, dual pixel PDAF, sensor displacement OIS; Telephoto: 12 MP, f / 2.8, 77mm, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom; Ultra wide angle: 12 MP, f/1.8, 13 mm, 120˚, PDAF ; Depth: scanner LiDAR TOF 3D.
- Front camera: Large (principal): 12 MP, f / 2,2, 23 mm, 1 / 3,6 ″; Depth: SL 3D.
- Video capture: Rear camera: 4K at 24/30/60 fps, 1080p at 30/60/120/240 fps, 10-bit HDR, Dolby Vision HDR (up to 60 fps), ProRes, cinematic mode, stereo sound recording; Front camera: 4K @ 24/25/30 / 60fps, 1080p @ 30/60 / 120fps, gyro-EIS.
- Drums: 3095 mAh; 23W Fast Charge, 50% in 30min (advertised), USB Power Delivery 2.0, 15W MagSafe Wireless Charging, 7.5W Qi Wireless Fast Magnetic Charging.
- Divers : Face ID, accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity, compass, barometer; NFC; Siri natural language commands and dictation, Ultra Wideband (UWB) support.
Unboxing Apple iPhone 13 Pro
The 2020 Apple unboxing experience returns in 2021, with a twist. There is still color coding – the black box stands for Pro, the white is vanilla, and there is a resemblance to the phone printed on the cover in the color corresponding to the unit inside. Perhaps you will appreciate the satisfying way the paper seal tears along its dotted line, the novelty brought about by an evolution of the packaging that has eliminated the plastic outer sleeve.
This is all secondary to what’s inside the flat box, and there isn’t much. Besides the iPhone 13 Pro, you get a USB-C to Lightning cable, a SIM pin, and an Apple sticker, and that’s it – the rest is just documentation.