Iran beats its first European team in the World Cup, the Iranians are back in 2nd position, Wales in great danger… Discover the highlights of this Group B match of the 2022 World Cup.
Azmoun and Iran relaunch in the World Cup
After a crazy end to the match, Iran won against Wales (2-0), this Friday, in Group B of the 2022 World Cup. A very good operation for the Iranians, who are getting back into this pool while waiting for the match between England and the United States!
1. A first for Iran! Before this meeting against Wales, Iran had never beaten a European opponent in the World Cup. Its heavy defeat against England (2-6) did not make it a favorite of this match, but Team Melli knew how to make these figures lie by winning a deserved success. A victory however almost unexpected as luck fled the Iranians during the game.
2. A goal refused to Iran in the first period. Wales could have conceded the opener in the quarter of an hour when Iran took advantage of a missed full-axis pass from Roberts to shake the net through Gholizadeh. Unfortunately for Iranians, the striker was in an offside position on Azmoun’s pass. What didn’t save Robert from being scolded by his coach…
3. Hennessey saved by his posts! Bad luck again. At the start of the second period, Azmoun then Gholizadeh failed in quick succession on the posts of Hennessey. Launched in depth, the first triggered a shot pushed back by the right post of the Welsh goalkeeper, beaten. In the continuity of the action, the second also found the post, left this time, on a curling shot from the left which had deceived Hennessey, still beaten but decisive in the crowd on the head of Azmoun.
4. The first red card of the World Cup. Finally, the luck turned at the end of the match. The Wales goalkeeper was logically sent off in the 86th minute for a gross foul on Taremi. Coming to meet the Iranian striker on a long ball in depth, the Welsh goalkeeper completely missed his clearance and hit his opponent head-on. It’s about first red card in this World Cupand the turn of the match.
5. At the end of the suspense. has started to become a habit, stoppages are endless in this World Cup. But it is not Iran that will complain about it. Since it was the 98th minute that Cheshmi opened the scoring with a magnificent long shot from the right between the opposing goalkeeper and his post. Next, Rezaeian completed an Iranian counter with a picket above the goalkeeper to seal the victory for his team in the 111th minute. And capsize all Iranian supporters in madness!
6. Iran return to Group B. Thanks to its victory against Wales, Iran is relaunched in Group B of the 2022 World Cup and provisionally takes 2nd place with the same number of points as England and two units ahead of their opponent of the day and the United States, who face the English at 8 p.m.
7. Wales badly embarked… With one point in two games, the Welsh saw the qualification in the round of 16 go away this Friday. The Dragons will be forced to win their last game against Englandthe great favorite of the group to be able to continue dreaming.
Match rating: 7.5/10
A lively first half, with pace, but poor in scoring opportunities due to a lack of accuracy on the part of both teams. Iran knew how to pack the second period to jostle the Welsh and win a deserved success in a totally crazy end to the game.
Man of the match: Mehdi Taremi (7/10)
The FC Porto striker didn’t find the net, but he proved invaluable for his team. In addition to his decisive pass for Rezaeian on the second goal, the Iranian striker won most of his duels and improved almost all the balls touched, as evidenced by his 8 key passes (!) during this game. He is also the one who causes the expulsion of Hennessey.
+ All the results and the classification of Group B of the 2022 World Cup by clicking here.
And for you, who were the best and worst players of the game? Comment in the “comments” box below!
WALES 0-2 IRAN (mid-time: 0-0) – CdM 2022 – 1st round, Group B / 2nd day
Stadium: Ahmed bin Ali Stadium, Al Rayyan – Referee: Mario Escobar, Guatemala
Goals : – Rouzbeh (90+9th) R. Rezaeian (90+11th) for IRAN