United States: at least 35 dead after floods "devastating" in kentucky

President Joe Biden has declared a state of “natural disaster” and released federal reinforcements in this southeastern state.

The still provisional toll of the devastating floods in Kentucky has risen to 35 dead and the bad weather continues, the governor of this southeastern American state said on Monday.

“More difficult news. We have had confirmation of more deaths in the Eastern Kentucky floods. We have now lost 35 people,” Andy Beshear tweeted.

“Today will be another hazardous weather day for Eastern Kentucky, with more rain expected in the region through tonight,” he warned.

Research that will last for weeks

“Isolated flash floods and damaging winds are possible, and we urge people in hard-hit areas to seek shelter on higher ground,” added the official, who ordered flags to be lowered to half-mast in state buildings.

“As if the situation was not difficult enough for the inhabitants of this region, they have rain at the moment,” he insisted during a press briefing.

The floods, which began last week and are among the most severe to ever hit Kentucky, have turned some roads into rivers, washed away bridges and swept away homes in one of the country’s most deprived areas.

Damage to mobile phone antennas complicated rescue efforts and estimating the number of dead and missing. On Sunday, the governor said bodies would be found “for weeks, many of which will have been carried hundreds of meters”.

Leave a Comment