Stephen Zabielski, 52, was killed in fighting in Dorozhniank on May 15.
The United States confirmed on Tuesday that a second American national had been killed in action in Ukraine, reiterating its call not to take part in the conflict while two other Americans were captured by Russia.
The State Department has confirmed the death of Stephen Zabielski, 52, stating that he was providing consular assistance to his family.
“We reiterate that U.S. citizens should not travel to Ukraine due to the ongoing armed conflict and the risk that Russian government security officials in Ukraine will target them because of their U.S. citizenship,” he said. a spokesman for American diplomacy.
He called on Americans in the warring country to “leave immediately, if safe to do so, by any commercial or private means of overland transportation.”
Stephen Zabielski is the second American to be confirmed killed in action with Ukrainian troops since the Russian invasion of the country in late February. A 22-year-old former Marine, Willy Joseph Cancel, was killed in the same circumstances at the end of April.
Two former American servicemen captured
In an obituary notice published by a newspaper in New York State, where Stephen Zabielski lived, we learn that this former construction worker, who leaves behind a wife and five stepchildren, died on May 15 “in beating in the village of Dorozhniank, Ukraine”.
His death was confirmed after two former US servicemen who volunteered to fight with Ukrainian forces were captured in early June in eastern Ukraine.
Alexander Drueke and Andy Huynh were filmed in videos released last week by Russian state television, but the circumstances in which they are being held are unclear.
Washington asserted that Russia must treat them humanely like any prisoner of war, in accordance with the Geneva Conventions. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on the American channel NBC News that these two Americans were “endangering” Russian soldiers and should be “held responsible for these crimes”.