370 wines from 80 Franconian wineries were tasted – in the end 10 winners were determined. On Monday (08/01/2022) in Würzburg, Lower Franconia, the 19th time the best Franconian wines chosen. Well-known names as well as some surprise winners were able to receive the coveted Ceratit Nodosus and can present their creations with the title “Best of Gold 2022” decorate. Incidentally, the trophy got its strange name from a primeval cephalopod that the Franconian Winegrowers Association chose as a symbol for the uniqueness of Franconian wines.
Before the prizes were awarded in the evening, however, there was a tasting marathon. 50 renowned wine journalists and bloggers, sommeliers, experts and restaurateurs tried their hand at the invitation of the Franconian Winegrowers’ Association through almost 400 wines – “blind”. The winegrowers had qualified for the “Oscar of the Franconian wine industry” with a gold medal at the Franconian wine awards. In the evening, the winners were determined in a total of four categories:
The best wines from Franconia – these are the winners of “Best of Gold 2022”
- Winery Josef Walter, Bürgstadt (2016 Bürgstadter Centgrafenberg Frühburgunder J quality wine)
- Weingut Hofmann, Ipsheim (2018 Ipsheimer Burg Hoheneck Cabernet Sauvignon quality wine)
white and fine
- Winery Kreglinger, Segnitz (2021 market wide Sonnenberg Silvaner Cabinet)
- Horst Sauer Winery, Escherndorf (2021 Escherndorf VDP.ORTSWEIN Müller-Thurgau quality wine)
white and structure
- Weingut Brügel, Greuth (2019 Greuther Bastel Silvaner “Filetstück” quality wine)
- Winzergemeinschaft Franken eG, Kitzingen (2021 Wipfelder Zehntgraf Weißer Burgundy Spätlese)
- Winzerhof Kieselsmühle, Dettelbach (2021 Dettelbacher Sonnenleite Riesling Spätlese)
- Winery Hans Wirsching, Iphofen (2021 Iphöfer Kronsberg VDP.ERSTE LAGE Scheurebe “Old Vines” quality wine)
- Winery Uwe Gessner, Garstadt (2020 Wipfelder Zehntgraf Silvaner quality wine)
White and classy
- Winery Höfling, Eussenheim (2018 Gössenheimer Homburg Silvaner Eiswein)
Best wines in Franconia – newcomers and old acquaintances awarded
When awarding best of gold Old acquaintances dominated. Among others, the wineries Horst Sauer from Escherndorf in the district of Kitzingen and Höfling from Eußenheim in the district of Main-Spessart-Kreis have been awarded the coveted gold trophy several times in the past.
But newcomers also received the golden Ceratit Nodosus this year. The winemaker couple Petra and Werner Schmitt, who actually only run their winery Winzerhof Kieselmühle in Dettelbach (Kitzingen district) together with their daughter Anna-Lena as a sideline, were also honored. “You’re just proud because the work you do is appreciated,” Petra Schmitt told Bayerischer Rundfunk.
More about Franconian wine: Würzburg – insider tips for your weekend trip to the wine town
But no desire for wine? Then here you will find the most popular types of beer in Germany – which are shocking for Franconia.
*Note: In the editorial office, we’re always looking for great deals and useful products for our readers – things that inspire us and bargains that are too good to pass up. The links provided in this article and marked with a shopping cart symbol or an asterisk are so-called affiliate links/advertising links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, we get a commission from the retailer. This does not change the price for you. Our editorial reporting is fundamentally independent of the existence or amount of a commission.